Corporate Social Responsibility Report (CSR)
What we are doing to make a difference
We introduce our clients to the concept of investing money in a way that can create a world in which we all prosper. Hansen’s Advisory Services, Inc. (HAS) has about seventy five percent of assets in sustainable investments. We have special expertise in socially responsible investing and planning for non-traditional couples. Many of our clients are part of the peace, activist, and gay and lesbian communities. We provide retirement plans for non-profit organizations and their employees. We have no strict account minimums and gladly serve all those with a desire to reach their financial goals.
HAS has been part of the social justice movement since our founding in 1987. Started by a school teacher, HAS and its staff are both personally and professionally committed to social, environmental, and economic justice.
HAS is woman owned and women operated.
- Each of our advisors owns their own book of business.
- Every employee has a voice in making decisions.
One hundred percent of HAS electricity comes from wind power sources, which we purchase from Community Energy, through Syracuse Real Food Co-op, where we are members.
- We heat with clean burning natural gas.
- We have programmable thermostat and use it.
- We have evaluated our building’s energy efficiencies and acted on those recommendations.
- We are avid recyclers, and are “Blue Ribbon” certified recyclers by OCRRA (Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency). In a paper-full industry we do our best to reduce and reuse paper. We print double sided when we can. We reuse single sided paper by printing on the other side. We are in the process of being paperless, and have reduced our paper use by more than half in the last year.
- We are a Green Core Company and a Green America Gold Certified Business.
- Our website is solar powered.
- We use a re-chargeable battery-powered lawn mower.
- We use electric hedge trimmers and an electric weedeater.
- Two employees drive hybrid cars.
- All of our cleaning products are eco-friendly.
- We buy 30% recycled content office paper
- Most of our light bulbs are compact fluorescent and all replacement bulbs are now compact florescent. We also have complete LED lighting in one room.
- We source our design, printing, and advertising to local firms.
- All of our catered events are sourced to local providers and serve fresh, local, and organic food.
- All of the art in our office is from a local artist and for sale.
- We display marketing materials from other local businesses in our office that we think our clients may be interested in.
- We are available to present seminars on SRI (Socially Responsible Investing) and planning for non-traditional couples to other financial planners because it’s more important to us that the movement spreads than that we get all the business.
- We publish quarterly newsletters for clients covering SRI topics.
- Syracuse Peace Council
- Peace Action of CNY
- Social Investment Forum
- First Affirmative Financial Network
- SAGE Upstate
- Pride Planners
- Syracuse Peace Council
- SAGE Upstate, an organization Serving Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Central New Yorkers as they age.
- Peace Action
- Syracuse Community Choir
- Gay and Lesbian Chorus
- WCNY – PBS
- WRVO – NPR
- ACTS (Alliance of Communities Transforming Syracuse)
- Central New York Pride
- Interfaith Works of Central New York – Community Wide Dialogue to End Racism
- NYCLU – New York Civil Liberties Union
- Matilda Joslyn Gage Foundation